A residential experience could be a music festival with your unit or an international camp that you go to by yourself. It also forms part of many Senior Section awards, such as the Queen's Guide Award, and is a great opportunity to meet new people.

Peer Group Residentials

The Senior Section Peer Group Residentials scheme will give you the tools to have a fun, successful trip without an adult present or a single person nominated to be in charge.

All participants undertake training as a group, complete the required forms and appoint a supervisor to meet up with the group every 24 hours to make sure everyone is safe and happy. The supervisor may or may not be a member of Girlguiding. They must, however, have completed a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check so they are cleared to have contact with Girlguiding members. They also have to be within 30 minutes travelling time of the group. Their responsibilities are defined in The Senior Section CD.

The Peer Group Residentials can take place anywhere in the UK, so don't feel you have to stick to your County.

The Leader(s) with overall responsibility for the event will be The Senior Section Leader. This could be a Unit Leader, a Going Away With Licence Holder (a Leader may be both) or a District/Division/County Senior Section Leader, depending on who is in the group. Neither The Senior Section Leader nor the Licence Holder is expected to be the supervisor for the event.

Further information

Guiding Manual: Events run by members of The Senior Section

Other residential opportunities


Queen's Guide Award residentials